Yale Health Center

Yale Health promotes the health and well-being of every member of the Yale community. Providing consistently outstanding care, compassionate, patient-centered service and innovative practices is our promise to our members and Yale University.


  • Yale Health clinical departments are open M-F 8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.

Acute Care

  • In an emergency—seek care! Call 911 or, on campus, the Yale Police (203-432-4400) immediately 
  • If you have an urgent problem call 203-432-0123 for Acute Care
  • If you are out of state and need emergency care you can go to any medical facility
  • If you receive emergency treatment call 203-432-0123 beforehand, if possible, and notify the Referrals Department within 48 hours by calling 203-432-7397 or 877-947-2273
  • Remember to carry your Yale Health ID card with you at all times

Yale Health Pharmacy 


Yale Basic Coverage Services

Student Health Care Coverage

If you are registered as a Yale degree candidate student, enrolled half-time or more and paying at least half tuition, whether living in New Haven or studying remotely, you have Yale Health Basic Coverage free of charge. Yale Health Basic includes services in Student Health, Mental Health and Counseling, Gynecology, Acute Care, the Inpatient Care Facility, and Blood Draw. Students who are attending Yale remotely can obtain basic services through MyChart and telemedicine visits with Yale Health providers.  

Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage 

All students enrolled at least half-time in a Yale degree-seeking program are automatically enrolled in and charged a fee for Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage. Students who have alternate insurance can waive Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage (with proof of alternate coverage)

Please note that you are eligible for all Yale Health Basic Coverage services regardless of whether you waive Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage or not.  

Regarding Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage, students who will not be residing in the New Haven area should note that non-emergent medical care, specialty care (including treatment for chronic conditions), non-Yale Health pharmacy and laboratory testing will not be covered. Out-of-area provider network restrictions will apply. The option to waive Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage is available each semester or for the full year, and keeping the coverage works best for semesters you plan to be in New Haven. Students studying remotely should consider whether Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage meets their needs because an alternate health plan may offer more extensive healthcare coverage outside of New Haven.   

Read more here about specialty coverage or contact member.services@yale.edu or 203-432-0246. 

Students on leave of absence are not eligible for Yale Health Basic Coverage but may enroll in Yale Health Student Affiliate Coverage


Academic Travel Rider

The Approved Academic Travel Rider helps meet the medical needs of qualified students who travel within the United States but outside of the Yale Health service area. It is offered as a supplement to Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care and provides coverage for non-emergent illness and chronic care only.   

In order to qualify for the Approved Academic Travel Rider, the student must have Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care coverage, enroll between July 20 and August 15 for fall term coverage and between November 1 and January 15 for spring term coverage, and the travel must be: 

  • Within the United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii);
  • In a location outside of the Yale Health service area which is defined as Connecticut (effective spring term 2018);
  • Meet a degree requirement as stated in the relevant graduate or professional school’s bulletin/student handbook or in Yale College’s Programs of Study; and 
  • Approved by the school and recorded in Banner. 

Please note that the coverage will be for each student’s specified period of travel within the fall or spring academic term. If your approved academic travel spans more than one semester, you will be required to re-enroll in the Approved Academic Travel Rider for each semester. 

Before you begin the enrollment process, be sure that you have all the information necessary to complete the enrollment, including the names and dates of birth of all dependents that are to be enrolled. The premium due for the level of coverage (individual, two-person, family) you select will be billed to your Student Financial & Administrative Services (SFAS) account.  

Applicable copays, deductibles, coinsurance, fees, and bills resulting from non-covered or partially covered services will be collected directly from you by the provider of service either at the time of service or afterwards. 

After you submit your enrollment information, the process will be complete and you will be enrolled in the Approved Academic Travel Rider with coverage effective for the period of time in which you will be away from the Yale Health service area for approved academic travel within the US (excluding Alaska and Hawaii). If, for any reason, you do not complete the enrollment process, you can re-enter the enrollment web site to complete your enrollment. Once you have submitted your enrollment, you will not be able to cancel your enrollment in the coverage. In other words, if you completed your enrollment in the Approved Academic Travel Rider, you will not have another opportunity to change or cancel your coverage.  


Alternative Health Coverage

There are many independent health insurance options available as an alternative to Yale Health Plan (YHP). For more information, please consult this Alternative Coverage document. For assistance with transitioning your health coverage to another insurance provider, please contact the YHP Member Services Department (member.services@yale.edu or 203-432-0246).