Graduates Returning to Campus

Remote students planning to return to campus for the Commencement ceremony will have to adhere to special health requirements. Students who have completed their vaccine sequence 14 days before arrival must be tested upon arrival. Students who have not completed their vaccine sequence plus 14 days must adhere to the requirements in the Travel and Return to Campus Policy (including five-day quarantine and two negative COVID-19 tests). Additional guidance may be updated as health conditions evolve.



  • All law students in residence (with status LM3) who are enrolled in an in-person or hybrid class at YLS must be tested weekly. All Baker Hall residents must be tested weekly.
  • You can schedule your weekly tests here. You will be shown several options for testing locations: 150 York Street, 60 Prospect Street, or the Lanman Center.
  • You may test on any day of the week, but best to test the same day every week. The test sites are open seven days a week.
  • Symptomatic testing is available at any time by calling the Campus Covid Resource Line at 203-432-6604. Please do not self-schedule at an asymptomatic site if you have symptoms as it may place others at risk.
  • Voluntary asymptomatic testing through Yale’s COVID-19 Screening Program is available. You are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this testing program even if you are not required to test weekly.
  • If you have tested positive for COVID in the past 90 days, you should not participate in testing for 90 days.
    • If you tested positive through Yale, your testing requirements are automatically paused for 90 days from date of positive test. Once that expires, you will have to complete the gateway and weekly testing requirements.
    • If you received a positive test result outside of Yale, please complete this report for Yale Health to verify the positive result. Once that time period passes, you will complete your gateway test and weekly testing.
    • Please reach out to or with specific questions.



COVID-19 vaccines are available in Connecticut for those aged 16 and older. Visit Yale Health’s COVID-19 Vaccine Program page for more information for eligible Yale faculty, staff, students and Yale Health members.


Building Access for Students

  • YLS Buildings (127 Wall St & Baker Hall) Students will have access to both Baker Hall and the Sterling Law Building Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
    • Law Library: Scanning services and contactless check out have resumed for the spring term. Please visit the library website or reference emails for more information.
  • Printing:  Printers are available and the room is scheduled to be open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. Monday – Friday.
  • Packages: If you receive a package at SLB and would like to retrieve it, email to set up a time.
  • Key Tags/Fobs: All students must return their key tags/fobs; Baker Hall residents should place in the basement drop box, all students can return fobs to the mailroom – mail box 13.
  • Individual study space is available only by reservation. You may reserve a room up to 72 hours in advance and for a maximum of three hours per day, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Food is not allowed in study space or in classrooms. Drinks with lids and straws are allowed.
  • To assist members of the community in navigating the buildings, these maps show specific areas open to students. There is also a video guide for students accessible by CAS login. Baker Hall and SLB rooms are also marked in blue on these maps.
  • Across campus:
    • Payne Whitney Gym will re-open, for in-residence graduate and undergraduate students, on Monday, February 15. Visit the PWG website for more information on reservations and special guidelines in place.
    • Yale Shuttle Service: full information available on the Yale Shuttle website.


Socializing During COVID-19

We know that gathering in groups significantly increases the risk of transmission. The next few months will be difficult as we navigate this COVID-19 spike at the same time that cold weather limits outdoor socializing. Please continue to adhere to the events and gatherings guidance detailed on the Yale University COVID-19 Information website. We will be restricting food at live events until Yale returns to yellow alert level status. Student organizations may order food through GrubHub for remote events.

The Graduate Student Assembly has created a document on How to Build your Quaranteam with useful information.

The heat lamps and tents will return for spring and we plan to hold more outdoor events as weather and COVID-19 cooperate. Please contact with questions or with ideas of events you would like to see as we continue to plan events for the next several weeks.


Contact Information

We recommend that for immediate information, call the phone numbers below. Please be aware there may be a delay in reply should you e-mail. We also appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigate this continuously changing situation.



Phone number

Health and Safety Leader

Associate Dean Ellen Cosgrove

Dean Cosgrove oversees adherence to the school’s COVID Compliance Plan and the Yale Community Compact. She will address non-compliance with students and refer non-compliance for faculty and staff through the appropriate channels.

Schedule a meeting with Dean Cosgrove here


Health and Safety Building Monitor

Associate Dean Mike Thompson

Dean Thompson oversees the buildings, monitors common areas for compliance with safety protocols, and serves as the on-site contact for staff and faculty regarding urgent, significant non-compliance with safety protocols.


Academic Affairs

Associate Dean Monica Maldonado

Schedule a meeting with Dean Maldonado here





Career Development Office


Office of International Students & Scholars


Office of Student Affairs



Law Library




Yale Health Member Services




For all questions related to financial aid, please refer to Financial Aid COVID-19 FAQs.

You may also visit the Financial Aid website for the most up-to-date information or contact



Please visit the Yale Health site for the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19.

Yale has prepared a factsheet for Graduate and Professional Students who may become ill during the term.

  • Yale Health Acute Care is open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. Other services will have special hours and please call departments directly.
  • Flu shots: for more information click here.

Asymptomatic COVID-19 Testing:

  • For students enrolled in Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Coverage Care, Yale Health will reimburse for the cost of asymptomatic testing out of state (student in CT will need to utilize Yale’s testing centers).

  • Students should submit their receipts for Covid testing using the Yale Health Supplemental Claim Form and should submit an itemized bill for the charges (credit card receipts and balance due statements are not acceptable)

  • Claim forms should be submitted to the Claims office at or via mail: Yale Health Claims Department, P.O. Box 208217, New Haven, CT 06520-8217

Symptomatic Testing:
  • Symptomatic testing is available 6 days a week through the Campus COVID Resource Line (CCRL) at 203-432-6604. In most cases same-day testing is possible. Yale Health Acute Care (203-432-0123) is available 24-7 if needed.

  • Symptomatic testing is available to all Yale students regardless of insurance and to dependents of Yale Health members.

Out-of-state health coverage:

Yale Health coverage operates on an HMO model. Students enrolled in Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage are covered for services at the Yale Health Center, but restrictions are placed on healthcare out-of-state. Health services are available to students out-of-state in a few ways:

  • Mental Health services are available through tele-health or the local Magellan network (arranged through Yale Health).  

  • Emergency services are covered as outlined in the policy.

  • Covid-related care will be covered/reimbursed as follows: if you start to develop Covid symptoms during break, please call Yale’s Campus Covid Resource Line (CCRL, 203-432-6604) to speak with a nurse before seeking care. You do need CCRL referral before seeking care in order to be covered.

  • All other services will be handled through telehealth visits to Yale Health.  

Q: What do I do if I have an emergency medical issue during the semester?

We work with students to address their concerns, whether it is a seriously ill loved one in a different state, an accident, or an unexpected serious illness. In other cases, it is a happily anticipated occasion like the birth of a child.

In each of these cases, we strategize with students to determine the best way to finish the term. In the past, some of these strategies have included postponing, extending paper deadlines, reducing the number of credits, and replacing classroom or clinic credits with independent research credits in order to increase flexibility in workload to allow the student to finish the semester. Every student’s situation is different and will require tailored accommodations that consider what their faculty members will allow, what the student’s credit situation is, what the individual student’s priorities are (e.g. just completing the work or having additional time to complete the work with distinction). 

Students with personal emergencies for which they seek academic accommodations are encouraged to contact Dean Cosgrove or Dean Maldonado. (or Dean Cosgrove. Dean Cosgrove will work with Dean Maldonado and your faculty to fashion a set of accommodations appropriate to your specific circumstances).

Q: What do I do if I need to take a medical leave?

If a student wishes to take a medical leave, The Bulletin details Yale University’s prorated schedule for refunding tuition during a term. Students may also apply for tuition insurance to cover expenses in the event of a medical leave.


The New Haven Community

Q: What should I know about engaging with the New Haven Community?

Law students have been actively engaged with the New Haven community through clinics and student organizations. We know that some of these activities can pose risks for community members as well as our students. Dwight Hall, the University’s center for many student initiated direct service opportunities, offers the following advice. The clinical faculty will provide additional guidance regarding client interactions.

The best way for students to support New Haven residents generally is to adhere to Connecticut, New Haven, and Yale regulations (including the compact and travel restrictions). In all interactions, observe 6 feet social distancing, wear masks, take advantage of testing through Yale Health, stay home if you are symptomatic.

Yale has established the Community for New Haven Fund, which aims to raise $5 million to support health care delivery, assistance for local businesses, community educational needs, and area not-for-profits focused on, for example, the well-being of children and families, homelessness, and food insecurity. To date, Yale has made grants totaling approximately $2 million to the New Haven community.

Yale is participating in the Together New Haven Economic Resiliency team meetings, working with the city and local partners to help mitigate the impact of the loss of economic activity and promote and support local businesses.

Please continue to stay up-to-date on New Haven COVID-19 announcements at


Online Learning

Q: Can you provide guidance on students with disabilities and accommodations that extend into the online environment?
Students with questions about accommodations for online courses should email Student Accessibility Services. SAS is available to field questions, help coordinate accommodations with faculty, and are working closely with the Poorvu Center regarding academic continuity and online delivery of course content.


Registrar Information

The faculty voted on January 29, 2021 to extend the Fall 2020 grading policy to Spring 2021. The deadline for a student to elect to change a Spring 2021 graded course or clinic to Credit/Fail is extended to March 8, 2021.

Information on Spring 2021 Grading Policy

Information on Fall 2020 Grading Policy

Information on Spring 2020 Grading Policy

The Registrar’s Office staff is working remotely at this time. Most forms may be accessed online and completed as fillable PDFs. We will accept a scanned or photographed copy of completed forms and supporting documentation. We encourage you to order official electronic transcripts; paper transcripts will be delayed 7-10 business days. For enrollment or summer employment verifications and bar forms, please confirm whether all signatures must be in ink (“wet signature”) before emailing the forms.

Please note: As a result of the unprecedented changes caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the faculty voted on March 25 to adopt a mandatory credit/fail system for the spring semester. Accordingly, all transcripts will include an annotation making clear that Spring 2020 classes were graded only on a credit/fail basis due to COVID-19.