- Campus Resources
Publications and Talks
Faculty, Student & Affiliate Publications
- Daina Bray (with Paula Cardoso and Michael Swistara), “Harms to Animals, People, and the Environment: Legislative and Litigation Efforts Around the World to End the Live Export of Farmed Animals,” ABA International Animal Law Committee Newsletter, Winter/Spring 2022.
- Viveca Morris, “The Cow-Shaped Hole in Biden’s Climate Plan,” Politico, November 16, 2021.
- Daina Bray (with Paula Cardoso), “Brazilian Supreme Court Upholds Constitutionality of Rio de Janeiro’s Ban on Animal Testing of Cosmetics,” ABA International Law Section Year In Review, 2021.
- Kristy Ferraro, Anthony Ferraro, and Nathalie Sommer, "Challenges facing cross-disciplinary collaboration in conservation ethics." Conservation Science and Practice, August 26, 2021.
- Ryan Clemens: "Safe Harbor: The Proposed Cape Cod Seal Cull’s Illegality Under the MMPA, Ineffectiveness, and Cruelty." Vermont Law Review, June 13, 2021.
- Viveca Morris, "Why meat and dairy corporations are the Achilles' heel of Biden's climate plan." Los Angeles Times, May 16, 2021.
- Manny Rutinel and Sebastian Quaade, "Animal Agriculture and Emission Reductions: The Viability of a Farm Transition Offset Protocol." Preliminary report, April 24, 2021.
- Doug Kysar, Climate Change Litigation in the Asia Pacific (Cambridge University Press, 2020) (co-edited with Jolene Lin)
- Viveca Morris, "Break Up the Modern Meat Trust," Law and Political Economy Project Blog, November 24, 2020.
- Viveca Morris and Jonathan Lovvorn, "Five actions Biden should take to build a more humane food system," November 17, 2020.
- Viveca Morris, "Why Yale's Evans Hall is a Death Trap for Birds and What Can Be Done About It," October 2020.
- Lindsay Stern (PhD 2023), What Can Bonobos Teach Us about the Nature of Language?. Smithsonian Magazine, July 2020.
- Viveca Morris, "COVID-19 shows that what we’re doing to animals is killing us, too." Los Angeles Times, April 2, 2020.
- Doug Kysar, "Charles Reich’s Unfinished Work.” The Yale Law Journal, March 16, 2020.
- Christopher Ewell (JD 2022). An evaluation of Regional Fisheries Management Organization at-sea compliance monitoring and observer programs. Marine Policy, February 17, 2020.
- Lindsay Stern (PhD 2023). The Study of Animal Languages (novel). Viking. February 19, 2019.
- Lingxi Chenyang (JD 2020). Is Meat the New Tobacco? Regulating Food Demand in the Age of Climate Change. Environmental Law Reporter, Vol. 49, No. 4, February 5, 2019.
- Doug Kysar, Living with Owning, 92 Indiana L. J. 1 (2017) (with Matt Ampleman)
- Doug Kysar, Regulating from Nowhere: Environmental Law and the Search for Objectivity (Yale University Press, 2010)
- Jonathan Lovvorn , Clean Food: The Next Clean Energy Revolution, 36Yale L. & Pol'y Rev. 283 (2018).
- Jonathan Lovvorn, Climate Change Beyond Environmentalism Part II: Near-Term Climate Mitigation in a Post-Regulatory Era (December 31, 2017). Georgetown International Environmental Law Review (GIELR), Vol. 30, 2018.
- Jonathan Lovvorn, Climate Change Beyond Environmentalism Part I: Intersectional Threats and the Case for Collective Action (April 4, 2017). Georgetown International Environmental Law Review (GIELR), Vol. 29, No. 1, 2016.
- Jonathan Lovvorn, California Proposition 2: A Watershed Moment for Animal Law (2009) (with Nancy Perry)
CAFE Law and Policy Lab Student Reports
- “Challenging Pennsylvania’s CAFO Immunity Law" by Simon Engler, Tim Ibbotson-Sindelar, Angus McLean, and Lexi Smith (Spring 2020)
- “Farm Fairness Act: Regulating Liberty, Transparency, and Fairness for Poultry Farmers” by Jeamme Chia, Zoe Novic, Kathryn Pogin, and Aaron Troncoso (Spring 2020)
- “Farm Animals to Plant: Financing Farm Transitions Through Carbon Markets” by Liam Gunn, Christina Ospina, Colin Peterson, and Manny Rutinel (Spring 2020)
- "Let’s Talk About Biogas … Even If We Think It Stinks” by Alexander Weiss, Caroline Parker, Hope Bidga-Peyton, Kara Hoving, and Matthew Burnett (Spring 2020)
- “The Illinois Pilot Project: A New Model for State-Level Food Procurement Legislation" by Tony Cisneros, Brooke Dekolf, Chris Ewell, Hannah Gross, and Kristen Wraithwall (Spring 2020)
- “Safe Slaughter: A Multi-Phase Strategy to Improve Worker Safety in Meatpacking Plants Through Information, Certification & Regulation" by Caroline Grueskin, Rory Jacobsen, Tony Mazza, and Rebecca McLean (Spring 2020)
Recent Talks & Podcast Appearances
Daina Bray, "The CDC's Dog Import Ban: Legal Issues and Next Steps to Protect the Public, Animals, and International Rescue Efforts," American Bar Association, December 6, 2021.
Daina Bray and Jonathan Lovvorn, "The Climate Cost of Big Ag and Big Food," NYU, November 18, 2021.
Daina Bray, "Bar None: The American Bar Association's Role in Expanding Justice for Animals," 29th Annual Animal Law Conference, October 17, 2021.
Doug Kysar and Jonathan Lovvorn, "Animal Welfare & Climate Change, Explained," Yale, April 20, 2021.
Doug Kysar, "Unimaginable: Hope and Ducy in the Anthropocene," NYU, March 26, 2021.
Viveca Morris, "How Climate Change Impacts Farm Animal Welfare," American University, March 18, 2021.
Jonathan Lovvorn, Innovating in a Climate Crisis: Issues Relating to Food Policy, Safety, and Ecosystem Market Tools, Lewis & Clark Law School, March 13, 2021.
Doug Kysar, The Grande-Synthe Decision: A Conversation about National Climate Commitments, Accountability, and the Role of Courts, Yale Law School, February 24, 2021.
Doug Kysar, It's Later Than We Think: Climate Change and the Coming Transformation, Yale School of Management, November 20, 2020
Doug Kysar, Science and Democracy Seminar, Harvard University Center for the Environment, November 10, 2020
Doug Kysar, Virtual Book Launch: Climate Change Litigation in the Asia Pacific, National University of Singapore, October 28, 2020
Jon Lovvorn, Food Policy and Purchasing Innovation in a Climate Crisis, Animal Law Conference, October 25, 2020
Jon Lovvorn, The Sustainability Myth--Tackling the Climate, Animal Welfare, Food Security, & Environmental Costs of Agriculture, Forward Food Conference, October 16, 2020
- Viveca Morris, "Pandemics Show What We're Doing to Animals and the Planet is Killing Us Too." Lectures for Yale Young Global Scholars Program, July 2020
- Jonathan Lovvorn, Animal Rights Law: For or Against—an Interview with Jonathan Lovvorn. Cambridge Center for Animal Rights Law, June 2020.
- Doug Kysar, "Sustainability in the Post-Covid Economy," panelist, Center for Business & the Environment at Yale, May 15, 2020
- Doug Kysar, "Charles A. Reich - A Commemoration of His Life and Legacy," Tuoro Law Center, January 30, 2020 (video)
- Doug Kysar, featured guest on Yale Environmental Dialogue podcast episode, "Protecting the Rights of Kids," December 16, 2019
- Doug Kysar, featured guest on the podcast "Energy Tradeoffs," December 9, 2019
- Doug Kysar and Jon Lovvorn, featured guests on the podcast "When We Talk About Animals," November 19, 2019
- Viveca Morris, "Impacts of USDA's Increased Pork and Poultry Linespeeds," panel moderator, Government Accountability Project's Food Integrity Campaign Conference, November 15, 2019 (video)
- Doug Kysar, Climate Change and Legal Education, "Amicus Brief" talk at Yale Law School Alumni Weekend, October 18, 2019
- Jonathan Lovvorn, Canaries in the Coal Mine: Animals, the Climate Crisis, and the Future of Public Interest Law, Yale Law School, October 8, 2019
- Jonathan Lovvorn, Animal Ethics, Climate Policy, Consumer Demand, Alternative Protein Technology, and the Future of the American Industrial Animal Agriculture Model, International Symposium on Farm Animal Welfare Science and Human Obligations (keynote), Griffith University, August 19, 2019
- Doug Kysar, Counterfactual Carbon and the Neoliberal Imagination, Multiple Carbons: Workshop, Harvard University, April 6, 2019
- Doug Kysar, Animals and Climate Change, Natural Resources and Conservation Management Conference, University of Oklahoma College of Law, Norman, Oklahoma, April 5, 2019
- Doug Kysar, Panelist, Fire and Ice: The Shifting Narrative of Climate Change, University of California-Irvine, Irvine, California, February 9, 2019
- Jonathan Lovvorn, featured guest on Our Hen House Podcast: The Cases That Saved the Sales Bans, January 30, 2019
- Doug Kysar, Are ‘They’ ‘We’?, Animal Law and Environmental Law: Building Collaboration, Yale Law School, New Haven, Connecticut, November 5, 2016
- Doug Kysar, Living with Owning: Property, Community, and the Zanesville, Ohio Animal Massacre, Harris Lecture, Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana, April 6, 2016 (video below)
- Jonathan Lovvorn, Climate Change and Animals, Harvard Law School, 2018 (video below)
- Jonathan Lovvorn, featured guest on Our Hen House Podcast: The Case Against Factory Farm Air Pollution, July 26, 2017