- General course selection questions
- Graduation requirements/Degree Audit issues
- Joint Degree options
- Academic Permissions (underload/overload)
- Leave of Absence counseling
- Satisfactory Academic Progress concerns
- Classroom concerns
- Study strategies
Every spring, the small group faculty for the upcoming fall semester select teaching assistants, known as Coker Fellows, to work with 1L students. Students who will be third-year students (or the equivalent) in fall are eligible to apply.
The primary responsibilities of Coker Fellows are:
- supervising memoranda, briefs, and other first-term writing projects
- collaborating with ILAW instructors
- providing or coordinating instruction in legal writing and research
- assisting the small-group professor in devising first-term assignments and programs
- counseling members of the small group and helping them adjust to law school
- arranging social events and visits to courts, agencies, and other institutions and managing the small group social budget
- attending training sessions the spring and fall, as well as check-in meetings throughout the fall semester
Additionally, Coker Fellows may not work as Teaching Assistants, Teaching Fellows, or Research Assistants for pay in the fall semester.
More information about the application process is sent out to all 2L students in the spring.
For Fall 2023, the following faculty are slated to teach a small group:
Constitutional Law: Balkin, Driver, Gewirtz, Kronman, Moyn, Post
Contracts: Listokin, Markovits, Sanga
Criminal Law: Bell, Forman, Kohler-Hausmann
Students who are not selected as Coker Fellows may be interested in serving as Teaching Assistants for the 1L section professors.
The law school awards annual prizes for papers, coursework, and work performed in clinics. For descriptions of prizes available, please see pages 147-150 of the YLS Bulletin. Students and Professors submit nominations through an online portal in late May through June 30th each year. More information is sent by the Deputy Dean to the law school community each May.
Reading Group Proposals are accepted in the fall for the spring term and the summer for the fall term. Guidelines, deadlines, and the proposal form can be found here.