- Studying Law at Yale
- Our Faculty
- Centers & Workshops
- Student Life
- Admissions & Financial Aid
- YLS Today
Monica Maldonado, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, supports the Deputy Deans in all curricular matters and works with students on a variety of academic issues.
To schedule a meeting with Dean Maldonado: https://calendly.com/monicamaldonado
E-mail Dean Maldonado: email@example.com
During add/drop period, Dean Maldonado is available for ten-minute appointments. After add/drop period, Dean Maldonado is available for fifteen-minute appointments.
- General course selection questions
- Graduation requirements/Degree Audit issues
- Joint Degree options
- Academic Permissions (underload/overload)
- Leave of Absence counseling
- Satisfactory Academic Progress concerns
- Classroom concerns
- Study strategies
Students may reserve individual seats in the law library reading room through the seat reservation system
Students may reserve individual study rooms in Baker Hall, SLB, and 157 Church Street, 6th Floor through the room reservation system
Reading Group Proposals
Reading Group Proposals are accepted in the fall for the spring term and the summer for the fall term. Guidelines, deadlines, and the proposal form can be found here.
Coker Fellows Selection Process
Every spring, the small group faculty for the upcoming fall semester select teaching assistants, known as Coker Fellows, to work with 1L students. Students who will be third-year students (or the equivalent) in fall are eligible to apply. The primary responsibilities of Coker Fellows are:
- supervising memoranda, briefs, and other first-term writing projects
- collaborating with ILAW instructors
- providing or coordinating instruction in legal writing and research
- assisting the small-group professor in devising first-term assignments and programs
- counseling members of the small group and helping them adjust to law school
- arranging social events and visits to courts, agencies, and other institutions and managing the small group social budget
- attending training sessions the spring and fall, as well as check-in meetings throughout the fall semester
Additionally, Coker Fellows may not work as Teaching Assistants, Teaching Fellows, or Research Assistants for pay in the fall semester.
More information about the application process is sent out to all 2L students in the spring.
For Fall 2021, the following faculty are slated to teach a small group:
Constitutional Law: Balkin, Gewirtz, Hathaway, Kahn, Kronman, Post, Schultz, Stith
Contracts: Ayres, Brilmayer, Listokin, Markovits
Criminal Law: Forman
Students who are not selected as Coker Fellows may be interested in serving as Teaching Assistants for the 1L section professors. For Fall 2021, the following faculty are slated to teach a 1L section:
Constitutional Law: Driver, Siegel
Contracts: Carter, Schwartz
Criminal Law: Doherty, Kahan, Whitman
Procedure: Gluck, Marder, Suk
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant Positions at YLS
Search for open RA and TA law school positions here: https://fellows.law.yale.edu/
Permission for a law student to work as a Teaching Fellow in the college should be requested by the college department via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The law school awards annual prizes for papers, coursework, and work performed in clinics. For descriptions of prizes available, please see pages 147-150 of the YLS Bulletin. Students and Professors submit nominations through an online portal in late May through June 30th each year. More information is sent by the Deputy Dean to the law school community each May.