- Studying Law at Yale
- Our Faculty
- Centers & Workshops
- Student Life
- Admissions & Financial Aid
- YLS Today
Law School examinations are given during a period (normally two weeks) at the end of the term. The Registrar's Office administers all examinations. Do not contact the instructor.
Information about the final exam can be found on YLS:Courses by clicking on Exam Schedule for the term. Additional exam details can be found in the expanded course description on YLS:Courses.
The information below is intended to be an overview.
Exams may be scheduled or self-scheduled.
Exam questions may be available online (through YLS:Exams) or the exam questions are only available at YLS (Answers Only).
- Scheduled examination: Questions available online
You must take this exam on the scheduled date, at the scheduled time, either in the assigned room or through YLS Exams.
- Scheduled examination: Answers Only
You must take this exam on the scheduled date, at the scheduled time, and in the assigned room. You may upload your answers to YLS Exams.
- Scheduled One-Day examination: Questions available online
You must take this exam between 12:01 a.m. and 11:59 p.m. ET on the scheduled date. The exam answers must be uploaded by the end of the allotted time or 11:59 p.m., whichever comes earlier.
- Self-Scheduled: Questions available online
You may take this exam at any time during the examination period, either through YLS Exams or by signing out the questions from the Registrar's Office.
- Self-Scheduled: Answers Only
You may take this exam at any time during the examination period by signing out the questions from the Registrar's Office, Monday through Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. You may upload your answers
Students should identify themselves with either the assigned Exam ID or by name.
If the exam will be graded anonymously, do not put your name on the exam answers.
To reschedule an examination, complete the Request to Change Time of Examination form. Exams are generally rescheduled only for family/medical emergencies, three scheduled exams in three days, or two scheduled exams on the same day.
Non-native English speakers should review the policy on extended time in the YLS Bulletin before completing the Request for Extended Time on Examination.
Additional Information on YLS Examinations
- See the YLS Bulletin section on Examinations and Papers.
- The YLS Exam Handbook provides detailed information about examination procedures at YLS.
- Examination information session slides.
- Recording of Exam info session - 11/30/2020
- Instructions for self-scheduled exams using YLS ExamWeb
- Instructions for scheduled exams using YLS ExamWeb (forthcoming)
- Instructions for exams using EBB software (forthcoming)
- Sample exam answers template
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I know whether I have to be at YLS to take the exam?
- If the expanded course description on YLS:Courses indicates "Questions available online" you may take the exam from any location.
- If the expanded course description on YLS:Courses indicates "Questions are not available online" the exam must be taken at YLS.
- Do I need to download software to take my exams?
- If you need to download the EBB software, you will receive an email from the Registrar's Office with specific instructions. Otherwise, you will upload your exam answers using a web browser.
- I get an error message on YLS:ExamWeb: You do not have permission to view this directory or page.
- Cut and paste this URL into your web browser: https://exams.law.yale.edu/EBBLogon.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f
- I don't see my exam listed on YLS:ExamWeb.
- Scroll down in the Exams box on the lower right-hand corner of the home page.
- How do I upload my answers?